Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Changes and lists





We decided months ago that we would let Jenna keep her pacifier until after we moved to Florida. We figured she needed some kind of security with all that was going on. So now that we've been here a month, we took it away for good last night. And it's weird because this is the first time that I actually feel bad about doing something like this to her. But I made Ben put her down last night because I knew I wouldn't be able to leave the room with her crying for her 'paci'. We actually took it away from her during the day time about 2 weeks ago and let her only have it a night and for naps. I was feeling like this was going really well, but Ben reminded me that we had decided to do it and that we should just get it over with. Anyway, she actually fell asleep okay last night, but it was the waking up at 5:45 this morning and not being able to go back to sleep that was the real eye opener for me. She usually sleeps until 7 or 7:30 and I know it's that she didn't have her paci to put her back to sleep. Hopefully this isn't a new trend or else I'm giving that thing back to her for as long as she wants!!! I just put her down for her nap, and she only cried for a couple of minutes, so maybe this won't be as bad as I thought it was going to be.


Jenna is growing up so much. I was just thinking this morning of all the new things she says/does and I thought I'd make a list for you all:

1. Her vocabulary consists of: juice, milky, cheese, cookie, Elmo, paci, NO, mommy, daddy, Lexi, grandma, grandpa, down (which also means up!), ballon (boon), water, ouch, shoes, hey, and other things I can't remember right now

2. She can identify these animals and their sounds: dog, cat, bird, fish, horse

3. She knows where her eyes, nose, mouth, ears, hair, toes, and belly button are and where they are on other people

4. She can folds her arms for prayer, although she usually ends up laughing a few seconds into the prayer

5. She loves Elmo and Sesame Street. We bought her a Hokey Pokey Elmo and she loves to dance with Elmo.

6. She loves puzzles and books and we do and read several a day.

7. The girl loves balloons!! She gets so excited when she sees them in books or in the store. So if you ever want to make her happy, get her a balloon!!


We go to the library for story/singing time every week and I have signed her up for the Gymboree gym class. She really enjoys both of these and it's great to have something to have to go to each week. We also went to a play group last Friday and went swimming with a couple of other moms and their kids. That was fun, but I need to get Jenna a life vest or something because she doesn't like it when I just have to hold her the whole time in the pool. That's why the beach is a little better for us because she can kind of just do her own thing.

I was also thinking this morning of some things that I miss back home. We have been here a month now and it's going well, but here are a few Utah things I miss:

1. Village Baker - what I wouldn't give for one of their turkey sandwiches and a Special K bar!!

2. Harmon's grocery store and the drive and load - I know this sounds lazy, but with a 1 year old and being pregnant, that would be so nice right now. There was the nicest old man at the Harmon's at the District that always loaded my groceries for me. I sure miss him! And I miss Grandma Sycamore's bread. And the produce here isn't really that good - especially the bananas. I don't think I've had a good bunch of banana's yet.

3. Fall weather - don't get me wrong, I still hate snow and winter, but I love the fall. And I love fall clothes - sweaters, jeans, and jackets. I'm sure in a month or two I'll be bragging about the 80 degree weather we're having while you're all having snow, but right now, I'd like to see some leaves change color and put my sweaters on. And I'd like to not start sweating every single time I go outside!

4. Good Things Utah - I got hooked on that show after Jenna was born and didn't realize how much I'd come to enjoy it. I know, I'm a dork, but what can I say. That's what I always folded my laundry to.

5. Utah football (and BYU)- there aren't really any local schools around here so we just watch whatever is on ESPN or ABC. It would be fun to have a team....there's always Florida, I know, but they are still like 4 hours north of us. And I just dont really know anything about the Miami Hurricanes or South Florida.

6. 10 o'clock news - It all starts at 11 around here. And I'm just too tired by then. So I have no idea what the latest happenings are here in SW Florida. But I do check out KSL.com everyday, so I still know what's taking place back home.

7. Utah sports radio - I have no idea what's going on with the Jazz and the Utes and the Cougars. Even though DJ and PK drove me crazy, I miss listening to them. And even Monson and Graham, although I genuinely hate Kevin Graham.

8. Gardner Village, Tai Pan, Interior Elements, and Ikea - They have great malls and outlets here, but I miss these other stores. They were fun to just go to to kill some time (and money!) so I guess it's a good thing. I don't have the money, but I do have the time! I'm sure there are some stores like it here, I just haven't discovered them yet.

9. Family and friends from home - I miss running to my mom's just to have someone give me a break from Jenna. Or to make me dinner when Ben was working! I miss going to lunch and the mall with her on her day off. I miss babysitting for my sister's and sister-in-law's or having them babysit for me. What a luxury! I miss Rob and Natalie next door - always good for a couple of eggs or some cream of chicken soup! Or going to dinner with. I miss my BUNCO friends and playing softball. You know, just the little things I did with people that I enjoyed.

Sorry - didn't mean to get all sappy. Just a small list of things I took for granted back home. It's only been a month, so I'm allowed to be a little homesick once in a while, right?! It probably doesn't help that I'm pregnant and have no idea how I'm going to handle 2 little girls when the one I already have keeps me hopping all day long. Oh well, things are great and we're looking forward to all the new adventures we are going to have down here.

8 comments:

Natalie said...

Katie
We miss you guys so much! Our new neighbors are extreemly loud:) I always know when they are home, whisch seems to be when I am! :) I am glad you guys are liking it down there and don't miss the fall too much I will be jealous of you when I am wearing sweaters and I am still cold! I love how you keep your blog up to date. I need to be better at that! I feel that without kids its just rob and nat and rob and nat bla bla bla :) We miss you all and need to plan a trip out to come see you! Love Rob and Natalie

Anonymous said...

You left out Jenna's first word - ball. I really enjoy reading your blog - keep it up.

Anonymous said...

oops - anonymous is me, dad.

Lindsey said...

Hey Katie,

I love reading your blog. I wish we could have done more while you were here. I really miss you. I guess we will just have to come visit!! I'm glad things are going so well and I'm sorry you are pregnant in 80 degree weather. Talk to you later.

Lindsey

Drae said...

Katie,
Sorry I'm crashing your blog, but I found it by way of Troy and Jen's, through Scotty's. I heard you are in Florida. That's so fun to be able to move away for a little bit. I will keep up on your blog from now on. I have a blog too, if you want to visit it. It's not that great, but I'm sure in the next month or two it will be better and I'll have a little more to write about. My blog is draekorth.blogspot.com Hang in there. I have no idea what it's like to be pregnant in any degree of weather, but I've heard it only lasts so long. Like 9 months or something. Anyway, I enjoyed reading your blog and seeing the pictures.
Donnarae

Jon said...

Need to change # 9 from "stopping by at my mom's" to always being at my mom's. And you can't have a top 9 list, it needs to be a top 10, so # 10 should be the winter inversion, traffic, Kevin Eubank, Super Dale, Utes losing to Air Force again, only having two families on your home teaching list and not ten, cafe rio, and Gov. Huntsman and his picture perfect family and barbie doll wife. I miss Utah!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Katie and Ben,
I got this blog from Brynn. It is so nice to see that you all are adjusting...or at least trying too. Jenna is getting so big. All of her pics and videos are hilariours. We wish Ben the best in school and you the best with you pregnancy. Wow, only 56 more days until #2 comes. I am so excited for you guys. Oh, by the way, Brad and I are having a baby BOY in Feb. We are so excited but have so much to get done. Anyway, I won't take up to much room on the blog. Please send me your email so we can chat some more or just give me a call. Brad also says Hi!
Love Chanda and Brad
chanda_armtrong@hotmail.com
446-1140

Stef said...

It looks like you guys are having a great time. I wish we could just wander down to the beach! I hope your pregnancy is going good. Having two kids is not nearly as hard as people make it out to be! I think it is fun actually!